I’ve often noticed parallels between things that help me in sport & training and things that help me work. Even though these analogies reinforce some common sense ideas, I don’t implement them as often as I’d like.
- Communication is like breathing, it’s essential to every move but has to be regulated. Overdoing it, will slow you down.
- A disciplined routine and technique, is more effective than shear strength and brute force. The latter may be useful from time-to-time. The former requires focus and concentration and cultivates stable operation and performance.
- Honing an effective routine requires slow and careful practise.
- Visualise what you’re planning to achieve and actions will bend towards goals.
- Start small and ease into the work, then gradually build up momentum and pace.
- You are more likely to reach the target if you expect it of yourself in the first place.
- Recognise limits: intensity is great in the right quantities. Too much and too hard for too long, will do damage.
- Rest and recover at regular intervals, obviously.